It’s understandable to be concerned about hair thinning. No one wants to wake up and see hair all over their pillow. And while experiencing thinning hair can be a sign of more significant hair loss to come, but this is not always the case. This is especially true for women. There is a distinct difference between hair loss, which occurs when something is actually preventing the hair from growing, and hair shedding. The hair restoration experts here at KA Hair Aesthetics wanted to discuss the potential causes of and solutions for temporary hair thinning to help our readers better understand this concern and what they can do about it.
There is a wide variety of things that can cause hair thinning, including genetics, certain lifestyle habits, stress, hormonal changes, and medical conditions. Some of the most common causes of hair thinning include:
- Abnormally high stress levels
- Wearing hair in tight hairstyles such as braids, ponytails, etc.
- Use of hair products that can damage the follicles including extreme-hold sprays and gels
- Certain hair treatments including perms
- Lack of certain essential vitamins and nutrients including vitamin D and zinc
- Hormonal changes, including those caused by a change in birth control method
- Pregnancy and childbirth
Thankfully, most of this type of hair thinning can be reversed in many cases if caught early enough.In addition to managing stress in a healthy way, the following things may be able to curb temporary hair shedding:
- Gently massaging the scalp while washing your hair
- Trying an anti-thinning shampoo
- Multivitamins or other healthy nutritional supplements like zinc boosters
In cases of more prolonged hair loss, our experts perform Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) procedures. This hair transplant technique helps provide outstanding and long-lasting hair restoration by using the patient’s own hair as a way to generate new natural hair growth. The procedure is safe and highly effective for patients with enough hair in a donor site to retrieve healthy follicles.
While experiencing some degree of hair shedding may not be cause for concern, our goal is to provide our readers with the information they need to address their hair loss concern in as timely a fashion as possible. For more information or if you would like to schedule an in-person consultation appointment, please contact KA Hair Aesthetics today.